Friday, January 22, 2010

Cold & Un-fun

I've said for years that "some days you eat the miles and some days the miles eat you." Today I was chewed up and spit out. Nancy dropped me off about 4.5-4.75 miles from home while we dropped child Two off at school and I ran back. I fought for every step. I needed one more layer on the legs but didn't have it, so the legs sort of froze up and didn't fire like I'd expected them to. My lungs weren't functioning great in the cold, dry air. Footing was pretty poor with long stretches of ice as well as dozens of stealth-patches all along the course. Some days you have runs like this one. The effort to get out and strive and the repetition (one more run for this week's total) are what I take away from runs like today's. I embrace the Dean Karnazes* mantra that we are overly-comfortable and that running breaks us out of our overly-comfortable existence. Today was assuredly uncomfortable and definitely a character builder. Now it's out of the way and it's on with my day.

If you want to read a great book to get you fired up about running pick up <em>Ultramarathon Man</em> by Dean Karnazes. In fact I might read it again myself.... it's a fun, easy, and most importantly, inspiring read.

Posted via email from Cherry Blossom Ten

No comments: