Friday, January 29, 2010

Grinding it Out

When the alarm went off at 6:15 today, I was already sort of awake. The howling wind outside our window had woken me up. It was freezing. The streets were covered in ice and windblown snow, it was black out.
I turned off the alarm and went back to bed. I headed out just before noon. I vaVelined the face to protect it. I had my base layer on my legs (huge difference) and a couple of technical tees over a polypro shirt, hat, gloves, shades.The first half mile wasn't bad around .6 miles I make a right hand turn and ran right into the teeth of the wind. Now this stretch of the run is a false flat, so you always work a bit more than you think you should, but today was like a mile long steep uphill climb. I was laboring and at times barely moving forward. Headwinds are devastating and today's was fierce. My eyes were watering, parts of the face without Vaseline were stinging and the lungs were laboring (dry frigid air is not my friend). I'd considered 5 today, ratcheted it back to 4.2 and when I came to a turn that would make it 3.3, I took it. I got out. I got the heart pounding and lungs working. I built character... tomorrow is another day. Hopefully it's one with less wind.

Posted via email from Cherry Blossom Ten

No comments: